For the adventurous foodie looking to experience the foods and flavors enjoyed by locals, Untouristed takes you through one of Vallarta’s oldest neighborhoods, Cinco de Diciembre. Meet the families behind the food as you stroll though the historic cobbled streets sampling stewed and grilled meats using recipes passed down through generations. You will also visit an outdoor market selling fresh fruits, vegetables, cheeses, and meats, as well as taste a tortilla literally hot off the press.
You will not leave hungry. Some of the traditional Mexican foods you may try are lamb barbacoa, goat or beef birria, pork al día, pork carnitas, beef cabeza, gordito de chicharrón, beef asada, and more. The tour also stops for homemade ice cream with flavors including mango, basil, lime, coconut, and others.
The Untouristed your is offered Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays. If you don’t see a tour time that fits with your calendar, contact us and we can arrange a private tour.
Tours are limited to 8-10 guests unless they are one larger group of friends or family. Call or email us to set up a tour for groups over 10.
Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays at 10 am
Untouristed is curated to give an authentic immersive experience and is not recommended for Vegetarians/Pescatarians/Vegans/Plant-Based Diets. Please consider our Tacos after Dark tour for the most flexibility for vegetarian guests, and contact firstname.lastname@example.org for vegan recommendations around Vallarta.
Untouristed is the longest of our walking tours and navigates to back streets of Vallarta. We do not recommend this tour for guests with mobility issues.
Fees, Registration, and Payment Details
- The Untouristed Tour is $49 USD for guests 12yrs and older, $39 for guests 4 to 11yrs, and free for children under 4yrs.
- Need to reserve for more than 10 people? Call or email us today.
- Use the “Book Now” button above to secure your space on Untouristed! We strongly suggest that you make your reservation early — space is limited and times can get snapped up without warning! Book Now to secure your spot!
Included: All food, select non-alcoholic flavored waters, and a bottle of water.
Excluded: Alcohol, food for take-away, gratuity.
Where to meet and when
Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays at 10am
The Untouristed Tour begins at the Kiosko Convenience Store at the Pemex Gas Station, Calle Honduras, in 5 de December, Puerto Vallarta. Your Vallarta Eats Foodie Guide can be identified by the Vallarta Eats shirt she/he will be wearing. If you are driving please allow time to find parking. This location is easy to find and many bus routes will take you there. Also, any taxi will know this location. Make sure to check our FAQ for driving times from nearby hotels and resorts. Information on driving times given to you by your hotel concierge may be based on old traffic patterns, and we are unable to wait for late guests.
Here is an interactive map that shows our Un-Touristed Tour Meeting Point:
What to Bring
- Cash for additional purchases
- Please wear comfortable shoes and bring your sunscreen. Remember, this is a walking tour, and our tours go out rain or shine, please check the weather forecast and dress appropriately
- If you enjoyed your time on the tour, please be sure to take care of your Foodie Guide. In the tourism industry, standard gratuity is 15% to 20% of the retail price of the tour ($8 – $11 USD or $144 – $198 MXN per guest). Gracias!
Tours cancelled more than 24 hours in advance will receive a 100% refund.
We understand that life happens. Hopefully our cancellation policy reflects that. Most importantly we want to help you experience the amazing food and drink in Puerto Vallarta.
If you have to cancel/reschedule a tour please give us a call or send along an email and we will help you to reschedule if possible ($25 reschedule fee for less than 24 hour notice).
However, no refund nor changes can be made for same day cancellations. We tour rain or shine so please check the weather and come dressed accordingly.