Cultivated by the Mayans and the Aztecs, the cacao bean and vanilla plant both have their origins in Mexico. Over the years they have seen many different forms: from drinks to bars, from extracts to synthetics. On this tour, you’ll get a chance to explore chocolate and vanilla treats you’ve never even conceived of… and some old favorites, too!
While we can’t cover 4,000 years of history in one tour (we’re currently testing a 4,000-year tour, but our trial group hasn’t come back yet), we can give you a taste of chocolate and vanilla through history:
- Try old-style authentic chocolate drinks, direct descendants of those the Maya drank
- Enjoy delicious vanilla flan and artisan vanilla ice cream
- Visit the ChocoMuseo, where the chocolate sweets of the modern era are waiting to greet you!
The Chocolate and Vanilla Discovery Tour is offered Tuesdays and Saturdays. Tours are limited to six guests unless they are one larger group of friends or family. Large group reservations have become our specialty! Call or email us today and we’ll have you covered in no time.
Oh, also, past guests tell us the best time to take our tours is the beginning of your stay in Puerto Vallarta — you’ll be able to return to your newly found favorites throughout the rest of your visit!
Mmm… I can almost taste those chocolate drinks right now. Can’t you? All frothy and chocolatey… Placate your id by reserving your spot today! But don’t wait — chocolate always goes fast!
Please note that this tour is not suitable for people with nut allergies. Sorry!
Tuesdays and Saturdays at Noon
Fees, Registration, and Payment Details
- The Chocolate and Vanilla Discovery Tour is $55 USD
- We absorb all processing and ticketing costs. No hidden fees or surprises — just book and you’re done
- Need to reserve for more than six people? Call or email us today!
- Use the “Book Now” button above to secure your space on the Chocolate and Vanilla Discovery Tour! We strongly suggest that you make your reservation early — space is limited and times can get snapped up without warning! Book Now to secure your spot!
Included: All food and non-alcoholic beverages.
Excluded: Alcohol, food to take to your hotel or vacation rental.
Where to meet and when
Tuesdays and Saturdays at Noon
The Chocolate & Vanilla Discovery Tour will begin in the middle of the gazebo in the Lazaro Cardenas Park on Pino Suarez between Lazaro Cardenas and V. Carranza in Old Town/Zona Romantica Vallarta. Your Vallarta Eats Foodie Guide can be identified by the Vallarta Eats shirt she/he will be wearing. If you are driving please allow time to find parking. This location is easy to find and many bus routes will take you there. Also, any taxi will know this location.
The following is an interactive map that shows the meeting point to this tour:
Your Vallarta Eats Foodie Guide will assist you by providing instructions for returning to your hotel or vacation rental via foot, bus or taxi.
What to Bring
- Cash for any desired purchases
- Your camera!
- We always take complimentary pictures, but we are not professionals. We do promise to delete any picture that shows guests with food in their mouth or cilantro tooth!
- Please wear comfortable shoes and bring your sunscreen. Remember, this is a walking tour!
- If you enjoyed your time on the tour, please be sure to take care of your Foodie Guide. In the tourism industry, standard gratuity is 15% to 20% of the retail price of the tour ($9.75 – $13 USD or $185 – $245 MXN per guest). Gracias!
Tours cancelled more than 48 hours in advance will receive a 50% refund (less credit card processing and ticketing fees). We understand that life happens. Hopefully our cancellation policy reflects that. Most importantly we want to help you experience the amazing food and drink in Puerto Vallarta.
If you have to cancel a day tour for any reason give us a call or send along an email and we will help you reschedule or if that is not possible get a refund out to you quickly. However, no refund will be given for same day cancellations. We tour rain or shine so please check the weather and come dressed correctly. Groups of 6 or more must cancel 5 days before the tour because of the extra logistics to create a larger group tour.